The idea of laying out the blank boards came early on after I'd been making individual pieces to trade with friends. I wanted to have some color down on the blindingly blank white paper boards just to get things going. I set a handful of boards on a table and arranged them together so I could spray paint across them all at the same time. The wind came up a bit [maybe it was from the spray paint can?] and caused some to flutter around and flip over. I used some rocks and masking tape to secure them to the table and later when I saw the cool, defined edges made from taping off parts of the cards I really liked it. The taped off sections were still white and I experimented with taping them off and the Grid Plan followed after that.
We're Gonna Need a Bigger Table
Using a table with a larger surface meant more pieces could be produced and it was common to use a ping pong table that was stored in a friends garage to work on 75 to 100 pieces at a time. It was easier to tape these cards off if you had someone give you a hand and that’s where the real collaborative stuff happened.
Often my friends and I would meet after school or on the weekends and make more cards. A few of us would get the ping-pong table all set up with the cards taped off in a grid and then we’d just start in with painting.
We’d just talk and have drinks and goof around as we painted across the entire surface with a goal in mind of covering up the blue painters tape and removing the memory of there being separate pieces but were able to see it as a whole.